(BPT) – Time to reflect back on 2016 and set your sights on 2017. How did the year progress, and what did you accomplish? Maybe your goals included: A new promotion, a new car, a bigger house, better health or more meaningful relationships. Did they happen?
Has that time come to raise the bar and make a fundamental change?
At first glance it may seem impossible, but nothing changes unless you take control. Maybe 2017 is the year you start living life more on your own terms – and start today by employing these five tips:
* Live a life that is true to you. Wrestle with this one. Dig deep. Is it work? Then make passion for that work front and center. Is it skill building? Then tackle an online class in a skill you need, or just want to explore. Is it where you live, or who you are sharing life with or want to share it with? Stare it down and chart one bold step toward change. The biggest regret at the end of life’s journey is abandoning your dreams. And for most people it’s just pure fear that they weren’t good enough, so they “turtle shell” up. Stop. No retakes. One mantra: Live Life Now. Repeat: This is Your Life. Find what is true to you and take one tangible step.
* Measure your time and where it is spent. Time is like the sand in the hourglass of life. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Manage it like money. Every person walking this planet has the same exact number of hours in a day. Think of it as currency. How are you spending it? Seriously, take out the pen, paper and write down for one week how that most precious commodity was spent. Then change the allocation and budget time toward accomplishing that change you want, and maybe even desperately need. Own your hour glass of life and take control.
* Focus on your people. Ask yourself a tough question: Who are the people you care about most? Who do you impact, and who impacts you? These are the people that matter most in your life. Don’t be afraid to shift the balance of your time in their favor. You’ll be a better friend, and you’ll inherently feel stronger and more impactful. Your support network grows stronger, as do you.
* Feel good with what you wear. This may seem contrite, but what you toss on that skin of yours not only speaks volumes about you, but also puts you into a certain mindset. If clothes make the man, what do yours say about you? Change some items in your wardrobe and feel good about what you wear. For example, the Madda Fella menswear clothing line projects the chill vibe of Key West, yet works well in the boardroom or out on the boat.
* Find your inspiration point. What place inspires you? Where is that one spot in the world that motivates you above all others? For Madda Fella CEO and founder Michael Louden, it is Key West. “When I am there, in the sun, in this gorgeous slice of the world, I change perspectives… see a bigger world.” he says. “You owe it to yourself to do something meaningful with your life, to make a difference.” Find your place. You’ll find it is just what you need to recharge your batteries, revive your spirit and strengthen you.
The holidays are a wonderful time to bring into focus the year ahead. Don’t be afraid to think big and to start now. Set the ground work for change today and you’ll make 2017 your most legendary year yet.